The Battle of Los Angeles and the UFO Conspiracy

In the early part of 1942 the United States was still feeling a heightened sense of anxiety, resulting from the Attack on Pearl Harbor. They had declared war upon the Empire of Japan; nonetheless, they had up to this point battled unsuccessfully in each engagement. The West Coast was vigilant, and ready for an obviously certain attack. Urban areas from Seattle to San Diego had drawn up invasion contingency plans incorporating things from air-raid sirens to power outage measures. Nerves were stretched tight, and there was no scarcity of false alarms. Then during the night of 24 February, the Air Raid sirens resonated, and the Coast Guard Anti-aircraft batteries were told to go to “green alert,” placing them at full readiness to discharge their guns. From the time the fight started until it finished in the early hours of the morning, many individuals had seen the searchlights around Los Angeles settle on a target drifting above the city, and hostile to aircraft shells explode in the sky. Legitimate news agencies reported the assault, complete with eye-witness testimony. At the same time the Japanese claim that they never attacked L.A., and there was no wreckage to show that anybody essentially did. These conflicting testimonies throw doubt on the origins of the unidentified craft that brought about the Battle of Los Angeles. In this article, we will look at the build-up to the incident, the incident itself, and whether or not the object spotted that night was in fact a craft from another planet.

First Sighting

The initial sightings of the approaching craft hailed from the Coast Guard not long after 11:00 PM. In light of the fact that business and private airplanes were reasonably regular, the Civil Defense Service responded circumspectly to the starting locating. As reports of the approaching plane- -or sometimes armada -proceeded and advanced closer to land, anti aircraft batteries were put on a state of high readiness. When they began getting reports of an overhead object from individuals inland, plans were put into action without any hesitation, and the Air Raid Wardens were called into put the city into blackout. Many volunteer Air Raid Wardens started calling at the homes of individuals in their neighborhoods, and requesting them to kill the lights; in so doing they caused individuals to go out and look for the craft that was moving gradually through the sky. This is something which the government agencies who were supposedly in control that night, did not think about when they ordered a complete blackout of the surrounding areas.

One Craft or Many?

A few of the eyewitness accounts depict the intruder above the city as a colossal single craft, while others expressed that it was a scattered gathering of more modest craft. Numerous individuals gave an account to the papers that they were sure they had seen United States planes approach the object after the shelling started, however the armed forces reported that fourth Interceptor Command was just on caution, and no planes were ever ordered to take off. Spotlights lit up the skies and lit up an object moving gradually or floating every so often.

The Firing Commences

At almost 3:16 AM the 37th Coast Guard Artillery Brigade started shooting while the target was over Culver City. With the city lights all off for the blackout, the flood of anti-aircraft shells was the focal point of interest.
The blaze appeared to explode in rings encompassing the target. At the same time the excited watchers, shuddering in the unanticipated morning cool, weren’t rewarded by the sight of a shot down airplane. Nor were there any shells dropped. Still the firing carried on, thundering irately off around the west as a far off storm. The object crept along at high altitude, flanked by the cherry red detonations. Also the householders shuddered in their robes, their features set, viewing the amazing scene.

City Blacked Out For Hours

The city was in black out from 2:25 to 7:21 am after a prior yellow alert at 7:18 pm was canceled at 10:23 pm. The power outage was basically from here to the Mexican outskirts and inland to the San Joaquin Valley. No shells were dropped and no planes shot down and, amazingly regarding the huge amounts of shells heaved on high, just two persons were wounded by falling shell parts. Innumerable Southland inhabitants, a number of whom were late to work in light of the movement tie-up throughout the power outage, rubbed their eyes drowsily and concurred that paying little respect to the inquiry of how true the air assault alert might have been, it was an incredible show and well worth losing a couple of hours’ rest. The power outage was not without its victims, though. A state official bit the dust due to heart failure whilst in control a munitions lorry, a heart complication additionally represented the expiration of a local air assault steward, a lady was declared dead due to an auto-truck impact in Arcadia area, plus a police officer in Long Beach was declared dead after a car accident on his way to work. A great part of the shooting seemed to hail from the region of airplane hangers down the beachfront territory of the areas that most of the southwestern areas of the city.

The Aftermath

The following morning’s newspapers were loaded with reports of the incident. Some reported that two Japanese planes had been shot down, yet such wreckage was never discovered. A few structures had been harmed by shells, and there were six casualties – every last one of them on the ground. There were three killed by friendly fire and three who suffered heart attacks brought on by the incident. The Los Angeles Times ran a front page picture illustrating the object captured in the searchlights; it is indeterminate whether it is an artist’s impression or a true photo due to the absence of clarity, i.e. the actuality that the hunt lights end on the item instead of going past.

The Cover-up Begins

Frank Knox, the Secretary of the Navy, instantly censured records of the incident, calling it a false alarm caused by “war jitters”. Since the battle numerous people have put on record that the unexplained object that was seen moving over Santa Monica to Long Beach was a weather balloon, or maybe an early Japanese Fire Balloon. However, to imply that the Coast Guard started shooting at an inflatable for 60 minutes infers a level of ineptitude, at the very least.

That Photograph

Billy Booth mentions the photo taken at the time of the incident: “As the large UFO moved into more lighted areas, view of the object became better. It moved directly over the MGM studios in Culver City. Fortunately, an extremely good quality photograph was taken of the object-beams attached, tracer fire visible. This photograph has become a classic UFO photograph. The UFO would soon move over Long Beach before disappearing.”


The story has remained incredible, generally because of the investment and affirmations of UFO scientists; previously, and many people have addressed, on occasion, how a misidentified airplane of any sort may manage an assault lasting about an hour and a half, consisting of 12.8 pound hostile to airplane shells. For all we know, possibly the base of the puzzle truly does have to do with an outlandish airplane… and to be reasonable, perhaps weather balloons are still all in all as deserving of thought. In any case, through the years, there has been sufficient misinformation displayed by both sides–favoring wariness and additionally belief–to muddy the waters around this odd and startling occurrence. So what happened on that February night over Los Angeles, and was California truly visited by an obscure flying machine fit for supporting enduring attack for that length of time?

Through the years, there have been various awful reports–some of them through and through hoaxes–that have been passed along as “confirmation” of something peculiar in the skies over Los Angeles in 1942. In 2010, reports showing up at different locales online claim that the article seen over LA that nighttime had looked similar in appearance to a giant butterfly. The particular source being referred to for these cases had been The Reno Evening Gazette February 26, 1942 version, hence bringing about a couple of Fortean researchers who started to draw parallels between the LA air assault of ’42 and later “Mothman” reports exuding from Point Pleasant, West Virginia, throughout the late 1960s. Many people became fascinated by this, along these lines that they chose to check whether they could chase down an old microfilm duplicate of this release of the Gazette; beyond any doubt enough, they would locate the paper thanks to a little help from a novice history specialist, with the famous feature headline emblazoned over the front page that read, “Los Angeles Confused Over Air Raid Alarm”

In Summary

It’s extremely unusual amongst the history of Ufology that there is a UFO case file that involves the armed forces, nonetheless goes together with definite photographic testimony. However, this is what happened in the L.A. region in February of 1942. There is no doubt that those aircraft batteries were firing at something, and due to the shear amount of shells fired at the object, there is little chance of the object being a weather balloon. Some people have suggest that the eye witness reports which state that the shells and bullets fired did nothing to the object, means that there is a possibility that the gunners were in fact firing at cloud. Even if there was a certain amount of “war jitters” going on at the time, which does not explain the fact that the firing lasted for over 30 minutes. Governments love a good cover-up, especially when it involves the supernatural or things to do with UFO encounters. The supposed landing at Roswell, New Mexico being a case in point, and there has yet to be a definitive explanation put forward by the United States government, which stands up to intense scrutiny.